Low Back Pain is a common problem that brings people into my office for help on a regular basis. It can be debilitating, frustrating, and severely impact a person’s quality of life.
There are many different causes for it, which is why at our Victoria BC clinic we use Video Motion Xray technology to observe the function of the spine in motion and try to determine the true root cause of the problem. (Below is a front-to-back video of a low back bending from side to side in order to determine where the low back may be misaligned)
Causes of Low Back Pain
Based on my experience and success in helping those suffering from low back pain, there seems to be several common causes:
1. Misalignment of the pelvic region: The pelvis and hips are the foundation of your spine, and when the pelvis becomes misaligned the low back tends to misalign as well. This can cause the low back to tighten and spasm and causes irritation to nerves, muscles, discs, and ligaments. Observe how on the right the spine has compensated for a tilted pelvis. We take still xrays like these to see if this might be the case and work to realign the pelvis if it is.
2. Misalignment of the hip joints: The hip joints themselves can get somewhat ‘jammed’ into the hip socket over time. This can cause microscopic scar tissue and tightness of the hip flexor muscles surrounding the hip. The hip flexor muscle attaches to the spine itself, and can pull on it abnormally if tight and can also cause low back pain. At our Victoria BC clinic we test the flexibility of the hip joint and make adjustments to the hip and show patients how to do stretches to keep it flexible if necessary.
3. Misalignment of the low back: Sometimes low back pain is caused by the exact place it hurts due to vertebrae of the low back misaligning causing irritation to nerves, muscles, and ligaments. We would be able to see this with video motion xray and work to realign the spine with chiropractic care.
4. Misalignment of the neck: It may seem odd, but countless times I’ve seen the cause of a patient’s low back pain to be come from the neck. All the nerves that travel to the low back pass through the neck, and a misaligned vertebrae here can affect the muscle tone of the low back and can cause irritation to the nerves traveling here. Often I will adjust the C1 vertebrae and patients will feel a sensation of release in the low back. The entire body is connected through the nerve system- this is why we examine the entire spine carefully before starting care. Here is another article explaining this connection.
5. Other Causes: Disc Injuries and misalignment of the lower extremity joints are other reasons low back pain may arise. In the more rare cases it may be a more serious underlying problem as well, which is all the more reason we use the technology we do at our clinic to assist in determining the true cause of the problem.
What to do about it
After careful analysis, the vast majority of individuals benefit greatly from chiropractic care- realigning misalignments of the body over time to allow full and proper function. We create a personalized care plan based on the individual and track progress over time as well as recommend strengthening and flexibility exercises to help maintain progress and become more resilient. If you or someone you care about suffers from low back pain there is hope! Contact us to find out how we might help today.